Cannabidiol (CBD) is a compound found in cannabis, like THC, that has been proven to have many health and medicinal benefits. Since CBD produces no psychoactive effects in the userdeciding it makes it a fantastic option in the treatment of your pet’s ailments.
Health Benefits of CBD for Pets
- Anxiety– In various human as well as animal studies CBD has been proven to reduce stress in both people and their pets, as well as those with anxiety disorders. It works well for panic disorders, PTSD, separation anxieties, and even noise phobias that your pet may have – like thunderstorms!
- Seizures and Epilepsy- The majority of dogs that suffer from seizures are on medicines that can be helpful in reducing and controlling seizures while also causing harmful effects to the liver. Many pharmaceuticals are accompanied by an extensive list of side effects. On the other hand, cannabis products do not have such effects. CBD has been found to work well against even drug-resistant epilepsy and has been given to children as well as animals to help reduce the frequency of seizures more naturally and without side effects.
- Pain and Inflammation- Studies have shown that CBD is a great alternative to painkillers in humans and animals because of its effectiveness in the treatment of chronic pain. It is known for reducing nerve related pain and reducing inflammation in general as well as inflammation related to acute pancreatitis and intestinal inflammation.
- Gastrointestinal Disorders- CBD has been found to prevent colitis and Inflammatory Bowel Disease because of its anti-inflammatory and antibiotic properties. CBD is also known to help reduce or stop nausea even when the nausea is a side effect of toxins, other drugs, or treatments such as radiation therapies.
- Cancer- CBD and other chemicals in hemp and marijuana have been found to have significant anti-tumor properties. Research says that CBD and THC can help stop the growth and spread of cancer cells. As well as aiding cancer treatment and alleviating symptoms of radiation therapies such as pain and nausea.
How Safe and Legal is it?
Through numerous studies proving the health benefits of CBD in both animals and humans, it appears that CBD is both safe and provides minimal to no side effects in the patient. Make sure to always consult your pets vetenarian before using CBD. You can also consider looking into holistic vetenary options in your area.
Most of the CBD oil available for dogs, other pets, and humans are made using hemp oil so that it has very little to absolutely no trace of THC. The lack of THC and psychoactive properties that hemp-based CBD has is the reason why it is legal in all 50 states for both human and animal consumption.
Different Methods of Administering to Dogs and Cats
There are different methods of which you can administer CBD medicinally to your dog and/ or cat. The most popular method is through oil tinctures which comes in a dropper bottle and is popular for the dosage control that it provides. In the case of tinctures, drop the recommended amount of CBD oil under your pet’s tongue. The number of droppletts depends on the size of your pet, their pain, and amount of milligrams per bottle.
Certain companies make capsules that can be given to your pet the same way you would give them any other pill or vitamin. This capsule has a predetermined amount of concentrated CBD oil and is the method most similar to tinctures.
Some companies such as Pet-Releaf and Innovetpet make topical ointments and lotions. These are applied directly to the site of pain. They also offer edible treats that can be fed to your pet just like any other treat.
Choosing the Right Product
Just as you would compare all of the nutritional facts of different food brands, you should always compare different CBD oils and products before deciding on which option is best for your pet and you.
When searching for a CBD product to administer it is advised for beginners to start with a CBD tinctures because it allows for adjustability. The dosage amount that will be the most beneficial for your companion is very much dependent on their symptoms as much as their size so make sure to ask a veternarian as many questions as you may have.
In order to ensure you are buying your pet the highest quality CBD you possibly can you should make sure that the product is certified organic. If it is not organic, the oil you are purchasing can may contain pesticides, fungicides, or varying solvents. Also, it is important to remember not to just price shop as you are searching for quality medicine, not a cheap Band-Aid.
Don’t be shy when purchasing CBD and ask for a lab analysis of the product. Manufacturers should provide certificates of analysis if the product comes from a reputable manufacturer. Since many oils only contain minimal amounts of CBD, it is essential to check what you are getting and to ensure that there is no THC in the oil.
Just as you would with any other drug or medication, pet owners should consult their veterinarian or holistic animal health care provider first before using CBD to treat their pet.
As part of the veteran’s community, we here at Veterans Cannabis Operations can and look forward to answering any questions you may have about medical marijuana for veterans and their pets. We can work with you to possibly provide financial assistance to veterans and their family members.
In the upcoming months as we continue to work closely with the veteran’s community, please keep a look out on our social media for giveaways and the announcement of our line of CBD products.