Although it has not exactly been proven to be effective at treating depression in its entirety, Medical Marijuana has been shown to be very useful in alleviatin the different symptoms of depressions. Different strains of marijuana contain different chemical makeups. Some have more THC while others have more CBD and all strains contain different combinations of cannabinoids and terpenes. Cannabinoids are chemicals like THC and CBD in marijuana that help us feel the plants effects but there are hundreds of other chemicals present aside from just those two. Terpenes are what make the plant smell. They are chemicals found in the plants’ resin which interact with the human body to produce specific effects.
Check your state’s laws and the VA website regarding the use of medical marijuana for veterans and make sure to consult with a qualified physician prior to making any decisions about self-medicating.
Depending on which symptoms of depression different strains can help remove or alleviate the symptom. According to Leafly some of the best strains for each of these symptoms are as follows.
- Jack Herer- Jack Herer is known for its creativity and happiness-inducing effects. It is very high in the terpene limonene, which boosts mood, and pinene, which boosts focus.
- Pineapple Express- This Sativa dominant strain is incredibly high in the mood-boosting terpene limonene and is known to make people feel happy, uplifted, and relaxed all at the same time.
Fighting Apathy and Fatigue
- Cannatonic- With a CBD content that is higher than its THC content (while still having a decent THC content at 14%) Cannatonic provides a very focused high. It relieves anxiety as well while promoting a clear mind and a heightened mood.
- Cinex- This is a hybrid plant that is very well known for its uplifting and energizing effects. It boosts creativity and focus while keeping users energized and is perfect for daytime use.
Strains for Anxiety
- Lavender- Lavender is an Indica strain that is very high in the terpene linalool which has a very floral smell. Strains high in this terpene help promote relaxation and reduce anxiety, as lavender is known to do in aromatherapy as well.
- Sour Tsunami- This is a strain that is super high in CBD. CBD actively counteracts the anxiety-inducing properties of THC so a strain like Sour Tsunami, which is incredibly high in CBD and very low in THC, works wonders when combatting anxiety.
- Tahoe OG Kush- Tahoe OG Kush is a hybrid strain with genetic roots in OG Kush. But, it is known for being much stronger. Tahoe OG is amazing for insomnia and when vaporized or smoked can produce very fast acting effect. As a potent muscle relaxant and also known to help slow down thoughts and anxiety, it seems like the perfect strain for relaxing the body and mind into a deep sleep.
- Granddaddy Purple (or Granddaddy Purp)- This strain contains super high levels of the terpene myrcene, which is known to make consumers drowsy and provide a strong taste of berry and grape to the bud. This strain is also a strong painkiller, so for those patients who are unable to sleep because of pain, this might be the strain for you. Granddaddy Purp is also relatively easy to find at many different dispensaries.
As part of the veteran’s community, we here at Veterans Cannabis Operations can and look forward to answering any questions you may have about medical marijuana for veterans. We can work with you to possibly provide financial assistance to veterans and their family members.
In the upcoming months as we continue to work closely with the veteran’s community, please keep a look out on our social media for giveaways and the announcement of our line of CBD products.